home contact shows sights selected works
Phonography, or field recording: the documentation of site-specific soundscapes through audio recording equipment.
- From Worldchanging (part 5., the Paula Roush interview)
- Snowfall at Imbolc - 3.5MB, 5 minutes of early morning snowfall 10am 1 Feb 2007, Raleigh NC USA. Turn it way up.
- Rain - Contains recordings of rain made on 3 June 2007.
- Frogs in Bog - 29minutes, 41MB mp3 of post-dusk frogs croaking.
- Construction Time - 60:00 minutes, 84MB mp3 of a small bulldozer and a small backhoe were on the far side of a creek valley moving around rocks of head to torso size range
- Independence Night - 2hrs1min52sec, 168MB mp3 of 12:37am to 2:38am 4 July 2007. (Note: this is the night of July 3rd into the 4th. No fireworks. A fox, yes.)
- Commute - 17min drive. Nice echo chamber effect talk radio under a bridge at one point.
- Commute, Subdued - Above, heavily processed for noise reduction through Sound Soap.
- Summer Thunder - A short cloudburst at dusk after days of oppressive August heat.
- Drive - 12min28sec. Drive from hardware store to residential neighborhood in oppressive heat, midmorning 27 August 2007.
- Scrabbling - five seconds of scrabbling.
- crackling cheer - nov-dec 2007, ten seconds. Distant cheer in background at end.
- Rain 26 December 2007 - 32min53sec. Early to mid-morning 26 December 2007.
- There's a Storm A'Coming.... - Thunderstorm sweeps through dusk to nightfall, Sunday 6 July 2008. 1hr48min06sec.
- Forty Minutes of Frogs - Post-dusk in a bog, Raleigh NC, 10 June 2009. 40minutes0sec.
- Fireworks - 4 of July 2009. 1minute15seconds.
- Nighttime In a Diner - 21 January 2010, latenight diner in Raleigh NC. 14min13sec.
- Jones Lake State Park - Noon-ish, Jones Lake State Park in southeast North Carolina, 23 May 2010. 3min00sec.
- Solstice 2010 - The 1:00 minute mark is exactly at the minute mark for the midday minute of the longest day of the year. Two minutes bracketing the zenith of the sun on the summer solstice 2010, Raleigh NC. The speaker was a passerby with no knowledge of the timing of the event. 2min00sec.
- 18 July 2010 - For World Listening Day 2010: 11:40am to 1:07pm Raleigh North Carolina, near a city greenway. 87min57sec.
- 24 February 2011 - Night: raccoons in a tree, dog barks, sirens in distance. 16min15sec.
- 6 July 2011 - 11pm to midnight, loud frogs. 61min15sec.
- 17 December 2020 - About 10pm to 11pm. Two helicopters hovering and circling nearby. 66min35sec.
- delivery backup 3jan2021 - Delivery truck backup sound, not the intrusive BEEP BEEP BEEP of yore.
- Fridge - Five minutes of refrigerator compressor noise sampled by request for another's project.
- Dehumidifier - Nine minutes.
- Dishwasher - One hour.
- Washing Machine - One hour ten minutes, with the last six or so minutes of silence.
- heat pump, Trane - 10min00sec, mono mp3 (photo) (ultraviolet)
- space heater, Holmes, small - 10min00sec, mono mp3 (small, on left)
- space heater, Holmes, 1touch - 10min00sec, mono mp3 (large, on right)
- laptop hard disk failure, 10 February 2015 - 23sec, mono WAV
- High winds at midnight - 14 Feb 2015, 25sec, stereo mp3
- Winds at midnight (long) - 14 Feb 2015, 2 hours 10 min 7 sec, stereo mp3
- Sleet at midnight (long) - 16 Feb 2015, 1 hour, stereo mp3
- Sleet at midnight - 16 Feb 2015, 30sec, stereo mp3
- 24 May 2009 - Work included on framework:afield.
- 30 March 2008 (Sunday)- Excerpt of the field recording Snowfall at Imbolc included on the March "Winter"-themed session of the Giant Ear))) radio show produced by the NY Society for Acoustic Ecology. Internet broadcast of the show available on 103.9FM, 7-9pm EST.
- 24 February 2008 - Excerpt of my composition Clinic Construction included on the February "Urban Rhythms" session of the Giant Ear))) radio show produced by the NY Society for Acoustic Ecology. Internet broadcast of the show available on 103.9FM, 7-9pm EST.
- Intros used for framework:afield.
- Fridge and space heater recordings used by AW for framework:afield.
- I gave permission for Tilmann Dehnhard to use excerpts from Frogs in Bog on Barbara Buchholz's theremin album _Moonstruck_.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License