home upcoming shows links sounds selected works sights contact
Index and Chronology Selected Works Phonography Physical Media The Bass Tells Only Half The Story Audible Vision Cthulhoid Sounds and Other Influences Other Musical Projects
Sounds: Selected Works
Recommended Subscape Annex listening selected from the full archive on sounds.
- Theremin Dub (09:55, 9MB file,128kbps mp3)
- Provided film score for Act VI of the CT-Caligari "Caligari: An Exquisite Corpse" DVD
- Cardamom Traders - 5:34, 3 MB mp3
- The Conqueror Worm - 15min35sec, with due acknowledgment to Edgar Allan Poe and Vincent Price
- Frankenstein Lost in the Ice - 12min24sec. About two o'clock the mist cleared away, and we beheld, stretched out in every direction, vast and irregular plains of ice, which seemed to have no end. - Mary Shelley, _Frankenstein_ Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, Akai Headrush E2 looper, Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, 102, 103, 104, 104SD, 105, 105B.
- Crystal Coils - 17min38sec. Eagle 6-string fretless bass, Sustainiac Model B, Moog MF-104 and MF-104SD analog delays. Loopers: Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. (25 Nov 2007)
Note: This is a loud piece, be careful with headphones.
- Carl Kruger Versus Subscape Annex (Wave Motion Gun Remix) - 14min18sec, from a sample by Carl Kruger that I processed. Effects: Z-Vex (Seek Wah, Ooh Wah, Seek Trem, Ringtone), Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, 107, 104, 104-SD, Tel-Ray EVO-1. Loopers: Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. (28 Nov 2007)
- Bowlisten - 18min41sec. KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, on disconnected Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Line 6 DL4, Boss RC-20 and RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman), Moog MF-101 Lowpass Filter, MF-104 and MF-104SD analog delay pedals. (13 January 2008)
- Cathedral - 00min45sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, and Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Effects: Moog MF-105 MuRF, Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator. (20 January 2008)
- Tuva - 8min09sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, and Zeta Crossover electric upright bass. Effects: Z-Vex Ooh Wah, Moog MF-101 lowpass filter, Digitech Jamman loop pedal. (21 January 2008)
- Dunwich - 6min15sec. Moog Etherwave Pro theremin, Akai Headrush E2, E-H POG, Moog Moogerfooger pedals, Z-Vex pedals. (15 February 2008)
- Oilbow - 5min29sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Zeta Crossover electric upright bass and Westone Rail Bass. Loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman, Boss RC20 and RC20XL). (18 February 2008)
- Muting Straylight - 10min40sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Westone Rail Bass, Moog lowpass filter, bass MuRF, ring mod, looper pedals (Digitech Jamman, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (16 March 2008)
- Carlsbad Cavern Gallows - 14min15sec. Double-sided bass: KandK Big Shot contact mic attached to Glasser bass bow, with Chapman Stick, Moog delay, Moog lowpass filter, loop pedals. (16 March 2008)
- Moors of Immanence - 10min40sec. Deleuze and Guattari go for a walk across the moors at night. Double-sided bow (K&K attached to Glasser bow), Zeta electric upright bass, Moog lowpass, phaser, MuRF, bass MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Z-Vex Lo-Fi Loop Junky), beard, vocals. (7 April 2008)
- Live at International Noise Conference - 5min32sec. Partial recording of a live set at the International Noise Conference US tour on 29 April 2008, at the Nightlight, Chapel Hill NC, USA. Recorded by Jeff Rehnlund with thanks. The Iron Muse of Judgment (picture), bow, fingerstix, Moog lowpass, phaser, bass MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (29 April 2008)
- Nightlight Solstice Two - 15min51sec. Chapman Stick, E-Bow, capos, Z-Vexes, Moog MF-104 analog delay, loop pedals. (21 June 2008)
- Orreric Turbines - 3min46sec. The music of the Dark Satanic Mills of the Spheres. Chapman Stick, E-Bows, capos, Moog pedals, loop pedals. (22 June 2008)
- Board Feed - 15min15sec. Contact mics and field recordings, made 24 hours before performance on location at Meymandi Theatre at the Murphey School Auditorium, looped and processed live on 13 July 2008. Recording missing a couple of minutes of the beginning. Recording made and provided by Shaun Sandor, my thanks to him.
- Monks of Dagon - 12min20sec. Part I of the Shards Cycle. Included in the Sound of Re-use sound art festival in Australia, part of The Sound of Failure festival. (posted 3 September 2008)
- Garuda Wakes - 11min48sec. Part IV of the Shards Cycle. Included in the Sound of Re-use sound art festival. (posted 3 September 2008)
- Molly-be-damned - 8min8sec. Doomydroningmetallicsludge. What happens when you listen to SunnO))) while reading Pynchon. Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, Jekyll & Hyde distortion pedal, Way Huge Blue Hippo analog chorus, Z-Vex [Lo-Fi Loop Junky, Woolly Mammoth bass fuzz], Boss RC-20 Loopstation. Loop: E-H POG, Z-Vex [Ooh Wah, Ringtone, Seek Trem]. (posted 7 September 2008)
- Sleighride - 9min11sec. Chapman Stick, E-Bows, capos, Moog MF-104 analog delay, Boss RC-20 & RC-20XL, Digitech Jamman. Part of the Silber Media compilation Winterizing. (posted 4 January 2009)
- Live at badgerhaus 22 April 2009 - 13min45seconds. The Iron Muse of Judgment (picture), double-sided bow (K&K contact microphone attached to Glasser bow), Moog ring modulator, MuRF, delay, SD delay, loop pedals (Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman, Boss RC-20, RC-20XL). (posted 23 April 2009)
- slabum - 13minutes28seconds. Tooling across an endless flat plain and a cracked concrete slab highway on a TRON lightcycle under a Gibsonian grey sky. Alesis Airsynth, Akai Headrush E2, Moog lowpass filter, ring modulator, delay, SD delay. Recorded 15 March 2009. (posted 26 April 2009)
- Angkor Pavilion - 11minutes47seconds. The bells overhead. Iron Muse of Judgment, cello bow, Moog delay, E-H POG, Akai Headrush E2, Digitech Jamman. Recorded 26 April 2009. (posted 26 April 2009)
- Irem By Day - 10minutes45seconds. Zeta Crossover electric upright bass, contact-microphone-equipped bow, Danelectro Backtalk reverse delay, Moog MF-104 delay, RC-20 Loopstation, RC-20XL Loopstation, Digitech Jamman. Recorded in the studio on the afternoon 3 May 2009. (posted 5 May 2009)
- two_15may2009 - 13minutes40seconds. Recorded live 15 May 2009 at a house concert in Raleigh NC. Zeta electric upright bass, contact microphone on cello bow, loopers, Moog delay, MurF, ring mod. (posted 15 May 2009)
- Live 1 July 2009 - 28minutes27seconds. Live at badgerhaus 1 July 2009. Chapman Stick, three E-Bows, Moog Moogerfooger MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104, MF-104SD, MF-105, MF-105B, and Akai Headrush/Boss RC-20/Boss RC-20XL/Digitech Jamman loopers. (Posted 1 July 2009)
- Dire Wolves At Christmas North Of The Arctic Circle - 5min30sec - Contact mics, glass jar of rice, shingles, knives, copper pipe, fingernails, loopers, Moog delay, Danelectro Backtalk reverse delay. Composed for the Silber Records 2009 Christmas Compilation White Silber - A Cold Slow Xmas.
- a very long slow sigh (local copy) included in the Disquiet-curated compilation Lowlands: A Sigh Collective (posted March 2011)
- qutub (screenshot), included in The More Unknown C. Reider: 20 Years of Strange Sounds Reworked by the Netlabel Underground (posted March 2011)
- Nightside of Eden, included in the Stretched Landscape Remix Project
- The Dreamer Is Still Asleep - 6min15sec. Recorded on the 1st of November after powering on the main effects chain with no instruments plugged in, and hearing it breathe like this. (Posted 2 November 2015)
- The Four-Body Problem - 45min45sec. Recorded on 26 February 2016. Moog Etherwave Pro theremin, Moog MF-102, MF-103, MF-105, MF-105B, MF-104, and MF-104SD Moogerfoogers. (Posted 27 February 2016)
Experiments in processing pictures as audio files. What does a JPG sound like?
The Bass Tells Only Half The Story
A bow used with an upright bass does not produce sound on its side of the string and bow interface - unless you use a contact mic on the bow. All of these double-sided bow pieces grouped together on Bowlisten.The pieces are Bowlisten, Bowlistening Again, Cathedral, Tuva, Tuvatu, Oilbow, Muting Straylight, Carlsbad Cavern Gallows, Do You Believe In Time Travel?, Mirror Goblins, and Moors of Immanence, Irem By Day, Irem at Dusk, one_15may2009, and two_15may2009.)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License